Thursday, November 26, 2009

SEAT BELTS IN THE NIGHT

I just know there is something

Special about the way we treat

Each other when were left

To ourselves

Just us alone

And your white shelves

Your soft satin gloves

Stay folded, perfectly wrapped

In white cord to the walls

My toothbrush waits so patient


Jumping on your bed

Like a child

We squeeze and hold so tight

Like seat belts in the night

You demand that I roll

Over when you do


I never chose this path with you

I never even chose you

But something inside of me

Has this pull

This rudimentary lull

The way your skin taste

Like water

And you hair is the air

And I let my hands surf

The wind


Out the window

On the freeway

I stay spaced out

And glazed

Sometimes taking days

Just to think about

How much stuff we

Really could do together


If there was someway

To hold this fragile flame

Through this November rain

To be the picture

And the frame

But deep down

I know sometimes

It’s cities that pass us

And days when you

Don’t even say my name


Sometimes I think

I’m crazy and this is all in my head

You act so surprised

When you hear it

You’re like what and how

And I’m like here and now

And together we both pretend

That this isn’t real


But deep down

I remember

The way I used to be

The lovers

That I refused to see

The ones

That were, just too real

When I wasn’t ready


And so beautifully distracted

Like glass being compacted

We shatter and crumble

Every time you leave town


And so the cycle begins again

We start over as friends

You talk to me even further than

Before, holding these hoops

I must jump through

Then the kisses and then the hugs

The strength of the drugs

Oh they’re just too good to say no


Then suddenly

I wake up

Startled

In the middle of the night


And I’m there

And you’re here

And were together

And nothing else matters

And the world stops

And my toes wiggle

I just lean in closer

All I can feel

Is your warm

Soft brown skin

You take a breath

And your hand finds mine

Encloses and then time

Just stops

I can’t remember anything

And I close my eyes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment