Monday, May 17, 2010

GIVING YOU AWAY

So long since something

So fragile, so graceful

Has even caught my eye

For so long little bird

My feelings for you, every night

True, everyone feels the glow

My high-school crush

Pinching my sides

Tree moss as soft

Gliding in snow

Every night I ran, in my head


Never were mine

Not even once

Just a few gentle nights

Awoken by your side

Our story goes backwards

Like lie, then the body, then time

Never stopped me

From playing pretend

Never stopped me

From bending these lines


So pretend wife

Let’s step into this pretend life

Think about all the seasons

Why this should work

Then the reasons why nothing

Ever seems to happen

The mind plays tricks

On me and you


Well you just order another drink

Stuck to a barstool

Stuck there to think

Fingering, tapping your phone

While I’m focused building a throne

And again every night

We both go home alone


I’ve carried this flame

Brighter and brighter it burned

Tried to stifle it out before

A few times swore that Was

Was the door

The way out and away

But inside can’t help but ponder

Is it the one that looks good on paper

Or the one that just feels so good to hold

You see you are the latter

Your neck is my lather

You know it so well playing with your hair

I can see it in your eyes


So I leave town for a few days

My career and my bags I carry

I come home your married

Shocked and sprayed

Lost and dismayed

I thought we were playing pretend

Like a lover I never loved

Lambs lead to slaughter

I’m more like father to daughter

Giving advice not needed

It was in my head, I concede


So pretend daughter, I bleed

Give me the pleasure please

Of just holding your hand

One last time

Let me walk in line with the organ

So everyone in the pews can see

That I am the man

And you are the daughter

And in loving you

I’m going astray

One last time

In your arms today

You see, playing pretend again

And this time I’m giving you away

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. made me cry... I miss my dad too RTay :-(

    ReplyDelete